Wednesday, August 6, 2008

BROADWAY BRETT: Brett Favre, Quarterback...for the NEW YORK JETS.


As I write this I am in a "Glass case of emotion" as San Diego's classiest anchorman Ron Burgundy best put it. I was about ready to get to bed when on Sportscenter, a beacon of light flew onto the screen: "BREAKING NEWS: Brett Favre traded to Jets." Wow. As a Jets fan, I have to say this has up to this point been one of the most active offseasons I've ever seen out of the Gang Green, and this move definitely solidifies it as the craziest offseason I've witnessed for the Jets in my entire life. They've now gone out and gotten a Super Bowl Champion, 3 time MVP, first ballot Hall of Famer to lead their team, and for the first time in a very long time, the Jets have a bonafide quarterback.

I wasn't really sure how I felt about this move since I never thought there was any sort of shot that this would actually happen. My thinking was the Jets were merely a pawn to drive up his trade value to other teams since I didn't think he really wanted to play for them. Now that it seems to have actually happened, I am excited, anxious, and almost can't believe it. I can't wait to see someone finally lead the Jets the way Chad Pennington didn't have the arm for, and the way Kellen Clemens didn't have a full chance at yet. As much of a soft spot I have for Chad and his leadership, multiple comebacks, and heart, he was never the quarterback who could lead the Jets past a 2nd or 3rd round in the playoffs. Kellen Clemens has the potential to be that quarterback for the Jets in the future, and the possibility of him now being able to be mentored by one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history over one or two seasons would ultimately make Clemens a better player.

I am in a mixed state of emotions right now as this breaking news has caught me somewhat off guard. However, it puts a smile on my face knowing that the Jets have brought themselves onto a level playing field with the behemoth New England Patriots (18-1). The fact that Bill Belichick is already losing sleep in his dungeon over this and wondering how he's going to gameplan against Favre now that he can't cheat anymore is reason enough for this to bring a smile to my face.

Not sure how incoherent my rambling has been, but it's late and the Jets just acquired one of the greatest living quarterbacks on earth. Here's to hoping he doesn't have another change of heart and stay retired.

J-E-T-S, BRETT, BRETT, BRETT!!!

If he wants to get on the fans' good side, he should go vintage and grow the Namath 'stache.



UPDATE:
As I finish writing this at approximately 1:00AM Eastern Time, the New York Jets official website is already advertising Brett Favre Jets jerseys for sale. Holding onto all those left over old Glenn Foley #4 jerseys must have paid off as they only had to replace 3 letters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess we should've seen this coming when Pope Benedict kissed Clemens' daughter on what you could call a forehead. However, Kellen was already a Jet so not even the Pope could reverse his ill-fated fortunes. So even though its the fruit of Kellen's loins that received a blessing, he has forever been damned to mediocracy(or less)by being drafted a Jet. However, the Pope being the huge Jet fan that he is, decided to make a trade with the Big Man Himself. He traded that huge hat and loads of Host(unblessed of course) for God's blessing on the NY Jets. Part 1 of the blesssing came in the form of a retarded GM a.k.a Ted Thompson who will go down in infamy for trading arguably the best QB ever. Now, the second part of this blessing is Brett Favre himself who, albeit is probly in a mid-life crisis, gives the Jet their best option at QB since that alcoholic we had back in 69. What the hell was his name again? Anyway, only time will tell if the Jets made the right move but as a Jet fan I know that this old man gives us a better shot at winning than does a Chad Pennington or a Kellen Clemens. Who the hell names their child Kellen anyway?